Known as the Chote Nawab, Saif Ali Khan is an Indian film actor and producer who works in the Bollywood film industry. Born in the royal family of Pataudi, Haryana, Saif Ali Khan is a recipient of a National Award and the Padma Shri Award. He started his acting career with Parampara in the year 1992. Since his debut, Saif Ali Khan has established himself as one of the most versatile actors in Bollywood. To his credit, Saif has been part of several hit movies. Apart from acting Saif Ali Khan is also a producer and co-founder of the Illuminati Films Production company with Dinesh Prem Vijan.
SAIF ALI KHAN : EARLY LIFE
Saif Ali Khan has been bestowed with the title of ‘Junior Pataudi’. He was born on 16 august 1970 in New Delhi, to the then Nawab of Pataudi, the former captain of the Indian cricket team, Mansoor Ali Khan and the evergreen yesteryear actress Sharmila Tagore. Saif has two sisters, Saba Ali Khan and Soha Ali Khan who is a Bollywood actress. He completed his early education at The Lawrence School, Sanawar and later went to Lockers Park School, Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom. Saif graduated from Winchester College, United Kingdom.
FAMILY AND PERSONAL LIFE
Saif Ali Khan initially married actress Amrita Singh in the year 1991. The duo met each other while shooting for Bekhudi and young Saif, smitten by her at the first glance started dating her. The relationship didn’t go down well with Saif`s parents as Amrita was 12 years older than him.
Nonetheless, Saif was committed to her and the couple got married in October 1991. The marriage worked positively for both Saif and Amrita and the duo has two children, a son named Ibrahim Ali Khan and a daughter named Sara Ali Khan but after 13 years of marriage, the couple separated in 2004. Saif Ali Khan then fell in love with actor Kareena Kapoor and after sharing a courtship period for a while, the duo got married in 2012.
Saif Ali Khan is well known for his spectacular acting and film choices that he makes. He started his career in the film industry under the mentorship of Yash Chopra and Umesh Mehra. After making a hilarious debut with Parampara in 1992, a couple of years later in 1994, Saif delivered two blockbuster hits viz. Yeh Dillagi and Main Khiladi Tu Anari. Both the films, which had Akshay Kumar as his co-star earned him a lot of praise with the latter giving him his first nomination for Best Supporting Actor at the Filmfare Awards.
Following his success with Main Khiladi Tu Anari, he appeared in many movies like Yaar Gaddar (1994), Aao Pyaar Karen (1994), Ek Tha Raja (1996), Bambai Ka Babu (1996), Tu Chor Main Sipahi (1996), Dil Tera Diwana (1996), Hameshaa (1997), and Keemat: They Are Back (1998). None of the films created a mark either critically or commercially.
During this phase, nothing was working for Saif, and it was assumed by many that this was, in fact, was the end of his career. After a long period of giving flops, Saif`s career graph started to improve as he appeared in films like Yeh Hai Mumbai Meri Jaan (1999), Aarzoo (1999), Kachche Dhaage (1999) and the ensemble cast family drama Hum Saath-Saath Hain (1999) that grossed a box-office collection of 27 crores INR.
SOME RECENT ONES
Saif next appeared in Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein (2001), Na Tum Jaano Na Hum (2002), and Darna Mana Hai (200)In 2007, the actor collaborated with Vidhu Vinod Chopra for his next directorial venture, the epic drama, Eklavya: The Royal Guard. The movie, although had an ensemble cast including Amitabh Bachchan, Boman Irani, Vidya Balan, and Sharmila Tagore, the movie failed at the box-office.
But, it was chosen as India’s official entry for the Academy Awards that year. Following this flop, the actor next appeared in Ta Ra Rum Pum alongside Rani Mukherji. His other releases include Laal Kaptaan and Jawaani Jaaneman. His 2020 release includes Dil Bechara.
ASTONISHING FACTS ABOUT SAIF
- Saif Ali Khan’s real name is Sajid Ali Khan. He changed his name to Saif after entering Bollywood.
- Both his grandfather, Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi, and father, Mansoor Ali Khan were professional cricketers.
- Apart from Soha Ali Khan, who is an actor herself, Saif Ali Khan also has another sister named Saba Ali Khan. She is the second born and is a jewelry designer.
- Saif’s mother Sharmila Tagore described his childhood in an interview. She said that as a child Saif has been difficult, impulsive, and spontaneous.
- After completing his studies in the United Kingdom, the Jawaani Jaaneman actor worked at an advertising firm in Delhi for a few months. He has also appeared in a TV commercial for Gwalior Suiting on the insistence of a family friend.
- While shooting for Bekhudi, he met Amrita Singh. According to the reports, Saif’s mother, Sharmila Tagore was dead against the marriage. He still married Amrita Singh in 1991 and they got divorced in 2004. He has two kids from her, Sara Ali Khan and Ibrahim Ali Khan.