Money Heist is a Spanish based web series created by Àlex Pina. The show is a heist crime drama. The series witnesses the two long-planned heists led by the Professor, one on the Royal Mint of Spain, and another on the Bank of Spain. It consists of 4 seasons and 31 episodes. The first part of the series was released on Netflix on 20 December, 2017. Producers viewed cultural identity as an important part of the show’s personality as it made the story more understandable for viewers. They also avoided adapting the series to international tastes, which helped set it apart from the usual American television series and raised international awareness of the Spanish sensibility.
The series follows Professor, a criminal mastermind who brings together eight thieves to take hostages and lock himself up in the Royal Mint of Spain, manipulating the police to carry out his plan. The team enters the Royal Mint of Spain and flees with 2.4 billion euros. After 67 people were held hostage inside the Mint, it plans to stay in the house for 11 days to print the money while dealing with elite police forces the group is forced to go into hiding and prepare for a raid second raid, this time on the Bank of Spain, as it is again dealing with hostages and police forces. Professor’s lack of communication with the Mint team leads to a mutiny and the arrest of one of the thieves.
The series has all the hallmarks of a good robbery movie: intrigue, danger, Robin Hood’s sense of justice (stealing from the rich and giving to the poor). The cast, and everyone is acting on stunning sexual chemistry in the air. There are several hostages who enter into romantic relationships with their captors.
- Silene Oliveira (Tokyo): a runaway robber who is scouted by the Professor to participate in his plan; she also acts as an unreliable narrator.
- Álvaro Morte as Sergio Marquina (The Professor) / Salvador “Salva” Martín: the mastermind of the heist who assembled the group, and Berlin’s younger brother.
- Itziar Ituño as Raquel Murillo (Lisbon): an inspector of the National Police Corps who is put in charge of the case.
- Pedro Alonso as Andrés de Fonollosa (Berlin): a terminally ill jewel thief and the Professor’s second-in-command and older brother.
- Paco Tous as Agustín Ramos: a former miner turned criminal and Denver’s father.
- Alba Flores as Ágata Jiménez (Nairobi): an expert in counterfeiting and forgery, in charge of printing the money and oversaw the melting of gold.
- Miguel Herrán as Aníbal Cortés: a young hacker.
- Jaime Lorente as Ricardo / Daniel Ramos: Moscow’s son who joins him in the heist.
After the release the series remained the most-followed series on Netflix for six consecutive weeks and became one of the most popular series on IMDb. Rotten Tomatoes gave rating with an average rating of 7/10. IMDb gave a rating of 8.3 out of 10.