B. S. Yediyurappa is an Indian politician, serving as the 19th and present Chief justice of Karnataka. He is the only person in the history of Karnataka serving for the fourth time as the chief minister.
|FULL NAME||BOOKANAKERE SIDDALINGAPPA YEDDYURAPP|
|DATE OF BIRTH||27TH FEBRUARY 1943|
|BIRTHPLACE||BOOKANAKERE, KINGDOM OF MYSORE (KARNATAKA), BRITISH INDIA|
|HOMETOWN||BOOKANAKERE, MANDYA, KARNATAKA|
|EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS||BA GRADUATE (BACHELORS OF ARTS)|
|SCHOOL||PES COLLEGE, MANDYA, KARNATAKA|
|COLLEGE||BANGALORE UNIVERSITY, BANGALORE, KARNATAKA|
|HEIGHT||IN CENTIMETER – 170CM|
IN METER – 1.7 M
IN INCHES AND FEET – 5’7″
|WEIGHT||IN KILOGRAMS – 65KGS|
IN POUNDS – 143 LBS
|HAIR COLOUR||BLACK / DARK BROWN|
B. S. Yediyurappa was born on 27 February 1943 in a village called Bookanakere in K.R.Pet taluk of Mandya district. His parents were Siddalingappa and Puttathayamma.
Unfortunately, his wife in 2004 died after falling into the water tank while drawing water.
B.S. Yediyurappa during his college days, was associated with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. Yediyurappa’s public service began when he was appointed as Karyavaha (Secretary) of the Sangh’s Shikaripur unit in 1970.
In 1988, he became the State President of the BJP in Karnataka. He was first elected to the lower house of the Karnataka Legislature in 1983 and has since represented the Shikaripura constituency six times.
He got elected as the Deputy CM of Karnataka whe the coalition Government of BJP and JDS came in power in the year 2006. In 2008, he was finally named the CM of Karnataka.
Due to alleged ill treatment towards Yediyurappa by the BJP Command, he left BJP and formed his own party, the Karnataka Janata Paksha.
However, in 2014 he merged his party with the BJP and was subsequently elected to the 16th Lok Sabha from the Shimoga constituency, which he quit after being elected to the Karnataka Legislative Assembly in May 2018.On 17 May 2018, he was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Karnataka, his third term in the office.
Unable to get a majority support in the Assembly, he resigned just two days after taking office and H. D. Kumaraswamy took oath as CM.
During his term Yediyurappa’s main focus was on helping farmer’s. He took various steps for the upliftment of farmers by providing them loans at nominal interest rates and stood with farmers during drought situation.
- In 2004, there were speculations of an illicit affair between Yediyurappa and Shobha Karandlaje, MP of Lok Sabha (BJP).
- In 2011, he was forced to resign from BJP due to corruption charges.
- In April 2016, The Toyota Land Cruiser Prado provided by sugar baron Nirani hit the headlines after reports that the seven-seater luxury vehicle would be used by Yeddyurappa to travel around the drought-hit parts of the state.
- In May 2017, he was criticized when he went to a dalit’s house and claimed to eat Idlis there, but it was later discovered that the food had been ordered from a nearby local restaurant.
- In February 2019, audiotapes of conversation between Yediyurappa and leaders from JDS and congress surfaced. The MLAs were being offered 50 crores to resign and join BJP.
- In 2009, the district magistrate ordered a probe to investigate the death of his wife. Many people alleged that Yediyurappa’s wife’s death was infact a murder, as the death was very suspicious. They pointed out that Mythra was 5’5″ so how could she have drowned in 4 feet water.
FACTS AND TRIVIA
- In five cases issued in 2011, Yediyurappa was alleged to be responsible for illegal de-notification of land. He was jailed during this term and was convicted of corruption.
- In an interview with Deccan Herald in March 2019, Yediyurappa said “Operation Kamala was not wrong and I don’t regret it. It is part of democracy.”
- In 2007, he changed the spelling of his name to Yeddyurappa from the earlier Yediyurappa following the advice of his astrologers, but he changed it back again to Yediyurappa before oath taking ceremony on 26 July 2019.
- In 2020 he was infected by the COVID-19 virus but recovered soon afterwards.