ASIF BASARA (27 July 1967- 12 November 2020) was an Indian actor, best known to audiences for his role in Outsourced. He appeared in many Bollywood films but unfortunately he was found hanging in his apartment. Today let’s have a glimpse on his significant achievements.
From 1991 to 1996, while still working full time, ASIF BASARA was performing regularly on stage, acting in English, Hindi, and Urdu productions. He started to attract considerable acclaim for his performances, including for the five characters he played in Feroz Khan’s Mahatma vs. Gandhi (English), and Main Bhi Superman (Hindi).
In 1996, Asif decided to quit his 9-to-5 job as opportunities started to open up on television. He started being regularly cast in Hindi movies, and later in Hollywood productions such as One Night With The King (2006), directed by Michael O. Sajbeland, and Outsourced (2007), directed by John Jeffcoat.
ASIF BASRA’S OTT SHOWS
Asif made his digital debut with Hotstar’s Hostages. The show garnered positive reviews from the audience. In it, he played the role of Asghar Nabi. More so, in 2020, he won many hearts with his role in the Amazon Prime Video series, Patal Lok, alongside an ensemble cast of Jaideep Ahlawat, Neeraj Kabi and others. Basra was also known for his theatrical performances.
ASIF BASARA’S TOPNOTCH MOVIES
ASIF BASARA made his debut in 1998 with the film Woh. After this, he was roped in for back-to-back movies like Rules: Pyaar Ka Superhit Formula, Black Friday, Love in Nepal and others. He rose to fame after his role in the movie, Parzania, was well-received by the audience. After Parzania, he worked in several films and was then roped in for Imtiaz Ali’s Jab We Met. His notable work is in flicks like Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai, Lamhaa, Kai Po Che, Freaky Ali, Sheitaan, Kaalakaandi, Hichki, among others. He is also best known for his role in the American comedy film titled Outsourced and One Night with the King.
In 2019, Asif Basra appeared in Vivek Agnihotri’s directorial, The Tashkent Files. Not only this, but the late star was also a part of Mohanlal’s hit film, Big Brother, which released in January 2020. Asif played the role of Muthan in Big Brother.
DEMYSTIFYING ASIF BASRA : UNKNOWN FACTS
- The famous theatre actor ASIF BASARA was born in a small town of Amravati in Maharashtra.
- In 1989, he moved to Mumbai to act in college productions.
- He completed his B.Sc. in Physics from Mumbai University and later joined a computer course.
- While doing a job in Mumbai, he would spend almost all his salary on watching plays.
- In 1991, he saw Salim Ghouse’s production of Athol Fugard’s play Boesman and Lena, night after night for a week. One day, Ghouse met him, and it marked his entry into the Mumbai theatre scene.
- Since his childhood, he has ventured onto the stage.
- Basra belonged to a very humble family and never took any training in acting.
- Asif was passionate enough to take an active part in film festivals during his school and college days.
- Later, Ghouse also offered him the role of Horatio in his stage play of Shakespeare’s Hamlet.
- While still working full time, Asif performed regularly on stage, acting in Hindi, English, and Urdu plays.
- Soon, he earned critical acclaim for his performances including Feroz Khan’s Mahatma vs. Gandhi (English), and Main Bhi Superman (Hindi).
- In 1996, Basra resigned from his 9-5 job due to his flourishing career in the Indian Theatre.
ASIF BASRA’S DEATH
ASIF BASARA was found dead at a private guest house in Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh on Thursday. SSP Kangra Vimukt Ranjan had confirmed to ANI, “Film actor Asif Basra was found hanging in a private complex in Dharamshala. Forensic Team and police are currently investigating the matter. It was an untimely loss of this talented actor. May his soul RIP.